Commitment to Animal Care and Well-Being
At Butterball, we are committed to producing healthy, high-quality turkeys in a responsible way. Our corporate citizenship platform, Traditions with Purpose, showcases efforts to create a positive impact in all areas of operation–including our People, Plate, Planet and Philanthropy–and is grounded by a signature commitment to animal care and well-being.
Simply, animal care and well-being are central to who we are as a company, and we are committed to maintaining the health and well-being of our turkeys. In fact, Butterball continues to lead the turkey industry in animal care and well-being standards, and we’re engaged in ongoing efforts that include:
- A stringent, zero-tolerance policy against any form of animal mistreatment.
- An industry-leading Animal Care and Well-Being Advisory Council comprised of leading specialists in animal husbandry and care, including: Dr. Temple Grandin, Colorado State University; Dr. Jesse Grimes, North Carolina State University; Dr. Michael Martin, North Carolina State University; Dr. Joy Mench, University of California-Davis; and Dr. Yvonne Thaxton, University of Arkansas.
- Voluntarily seeking and maintaining American Humane Certified™ status through the American Humane Association (AHA) via regular audits, which are periodically unannounced. The American Humane Certified program, a program offered by the AHA, is the nation’s first independent, third-party humane certification program for farm animals. Through rigorous inspections and examinations, the American Humane Association provides third-party, independent verification that certified producers’ care and handling of farm animals meet or exceed AHA’s peer-reviewed, science-based animal welfare standards.
- Elimination of antibiotics labeled as growth promotants in live turkey operations, effective March 1, 2015.
- Increasing and enriching animal care and well-being training curriculum for all associates, including regular mandatory training to ensure understanding and commitment to proper processes and protocols.
- Implementing on-farm video auditing to ensure the best care and handling of our turkeys are carried out at all times.
- Offering an animal care and well-being hotline for our associates and contract workers to report mistreatment or suspected mistreatment anonymously.
Butterball also follows all animal care guidelines set by the National Turkey Federation (NTF), and are continually assess our policies, procedures, and new and emerging technologies to ensure our flocks receive the best care possible at all times.